Shibori workshop

Y U N I  |  J a n u a r y  2 6 , 2 0 1 5



Today I had the chance to attend a dyeing workshop using Shibori techniques. If you're not aware of Shibori, it is an ancient Japanese tie-dying technique where solid objects are tied or clamped around fabric in order to create a resist in which the dye cannot seep through. Intricate patterns can then be created using small objects and elastics or clamps. This technique can be used with a variety of dye colors but the one most commonly used and known is indigo. Natural materials such as cotton, wool, silk and linen work best.




The first step of Shibori is to tie the small objects throughout the cloth to create the desired effect (shown in the image above). I used small small marbles to create circular patterns throughout. I decided to have a gradual effect of small circles to larger ones. I then decided to add stripes at the top by tying elastics. Of course, when it comes to cloth dyeing, the effect can never be too precisely controlled (a way to have a more precise design is to use dental floss to sew patterns into the cloth). 





The second step is to soak the fabric in water and then soak it in the indigo dye for 1 minute. The dyed cloth then has to be left alone for 30 minutes in order to let the dye oxidize from green to its true blue color. 

After all that it's just a matter of thoroughly rinsing the fabric until the water runs clear (this took a lot longer than I thought!). Then remove the elastics and/or clamps and the objects. Rinse again until the water runs clear and hang to dry.





I encourage you all to dye some of your own fabrics, or at least to try it out. This was my first time doing so and I had so much fun! The image of the textile shown above isn't the one I made but I thought it turned out beautifully. 

13 comments:

  1. wow! great workshop :)

    http://allornothing-blog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is, try it if you get the chance :))

      Delete
  2. Wow what an awesome workshop!! I love the finished product! So cute! :)

    New post on GIRL ABOUT TOWN BLOG
    FACEBOOK || BLOGLOVIN || INSTAGRAM || G +

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! while making the pattern, you're not really sure what you're gonna get, but it all turns out beautiful either way :)

      Delete
  3. Super lovely blog!

    www.dylanasuarez.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coool!

    xxx Linsey from POSE-BLOG.com

    You can also check my BLOGLOVIN & FACEBOOK if you like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks super cool, thanks for sharing!

    xx danielle // shades of danielle // bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice post sweety! the effect is great! ;)
    Come to check it out my new post:
    http://honeyandcotton.org/come-fare-capelli-a-onde-perfette/
    Kiss from Rome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks nice.. Ich habe das immer mit meiner Mama gemacht als ich klein war

    http://findedichselbstwieder.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your blog and your style <33 you are running your blog so good!
    My first time here and I'm already looking forward to read more about you :DD

    www.leclothes.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely a workshop I would love to join! :)

    New post on GIRL ABOUT TOWN BLOG
    FACEBOOK || BLOGLOVIN || INSTAGRAM || G +

    ReplyDelete